CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 12, 2011

The rapture?!


hgtv.com

Picture it: circa 2001.  Mid-week.  About 2 pm. I'm about 12 years old at this point.  I'm inside my house while my mother is outside taking clothes off of the clothesline.  It's a windy, summer day...

"I'm pretty sure she should be done taking the clothes off the line by now...hmm...I wonder what's taking so long."

It's a lazy, summer day for me and boy, am I lazy.  I didn't even offer to help my mother take the clothes off of the line.  It's too hot for all that mess.  Note:  I said it was WINDY...layyyy-zzzz

"She's been out there for over half an hour.  There ain't THAT many clothes...oh no...what if she passed out?! I'd better go check on her!!"

I open the back door and head outside.  Pushing the oval-shaped rims on my face...I peer through the lenses...and what do I see?

A lone laundry basket filled with folded clothing just sitting on the ground under the clothesline.

Not a person in sight.

The breeze gently brushes my face.

"Where is she?!?!?!" Then..."OH NO.  What if this is it?  Did Jesus come back?! Oh no!!!!!! I missed it!!!"

I rush back inside - the only seemingly safe place.  If the rapture has indeed taken place, I don't want anyone to see me outside.  Then they'll know I missed it like they did!  What if the anti-Christ already has people outside waiting to scoop up the people who missed it?! STAY...INSIDE!!!!!!

"Oh Lord!" I begin to quote the only long passage of Scripture that I really know at this point..."The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want...uh...what comes next?!"
 
I think, "Let's just get to the good part! The part I need NOW!" So I misquote and say what I think comes next," 'Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will feel no evil for thou art with me'...uh..." as tears start to stream hot and fast down my cheeks. 

Why didn't I just learn the 23rd Psalm when my mom told me to?!?  I knew I should have memorized it!  But it seemed so long and pointless when I could just look it up in my Bible.  But now...OH GOODNESS (!!!)...I wish I had memorized it!  Oh no...wait...what's that noise??

I hear the doorknob of the backdoor jiggle.

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! The anti-Christ police are already out!  They comin' ta get ME!!! They must be checkin' houses to see who was left behind!!!!!! And I'm standing right next to the door! What do I do?!?! Where can I hide?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The door opens and I wait to face the person who will determine my fate.

"You were standing right there and wouldn't open the door for me? You see I have this laundry basket."

It was my MOTHER!!!!!!!

"Mom! AH! THANK GGGOOODDD!!!!!! It's YOU!"

"Of course it's me.  Who were you expecting?"

Did she really wanna know? She had NO idea who I thought was waiting for to come in and take me out.

Well, whether she wanted to know or not I sat down with her and told her the entire story complete with details of the things that were running through my mind after I saw the laundry basket straight chillin' in the grass.  And guess where she was that whole time???

After she picked her cheeks off of the floor from laughing so hard she told me. "Oh, I put the basket down to go next door real' quck."

Real quick?! It felt like TWO HOURSSSS....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...