CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Why I have to study Spanish

blackgirllatinworld.com


"Promise Auntie one thing... That you'll learn another language. It's the way our country is going. Believe now; I'm telling you the truth."

These words from my aunt have been gently nudging me. "Is that You, Lord?"

I've been studying Spanish on and off for the last 14 years...and I'm still not fluent. Shameful, I know. And I'm so afraid.

Afraid of failing. Lazy and afraid to mess up during practice.

But that is coming to an end. I HAVE to study Spanish. Looking at projections, Spanish is/will be the 2nd most spoken language in the United States. It's a beautiful language! Here are my other reasons though:

1. I like when I'm able to communicate with people in their native language.
2. I like the way that it surprises people when a black girl with a clearly Southern accent (proving she's not "Dominican") starts speaking Spanish.
3. I like to show off...so I like the effects of #2.
4. This will open up my travel and employment opportunities.
5. Maybe I'll marry a Latino and have bilingual babies! Speaking the language will help me converse with family members who may not speak English.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...