CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 28, 2013

Improving my Spanish

spanishlessons4you.com

I studied Spanish all throughout high school and college (actually started in the 8th grade...). Embarrassingly enough, I could not piece together a good, full paragraph without using a translator or dictionary of some sort.  For this reason, I tried to avoid telling people that I spoke Spanish, because it really wasn't true! I was a wannabe...as I often have been in many pursuits.

One day, about 5 years ago, while doing some evangelism in a mobile neighborhood (some people refer to these as trailer parks, but mobile neighborhood sounds better) my evangelistic deacon and I knocked on the door of a Spanish-speaking household. I really wanted to share the Gospel with them but COULDN'T since I, ya know, didn't speak Spanish. I think it was then that my desire to share the Gospel in Spanish started.
For my job, I work with congregations that have large numbers of Spanish-speakers.  I want to be able to communicate with them, so that means I'll have to work on my Spanish, right? YEP!

About 3 months ago, I found a little slip of paper posted in an ice cream shop about a Spanish tutor that lived pretty close to my house.  I jotted down her information and gave her a call the next morning or so.  We met up soon after and I've been meeting with her regularly.  She's from Colombia and is a believer so that has been helpful! We talk about all sorts of things in Spanglish at times - the Bible, ups and downs (sometimes more downs), family.  We laugh, we almost cry.  She encourages me. I encourage her. It works out. Praise the Lord.

The long-term goal for our Spanish sessions is for me to learn to share the Gospel in Spanish.  That little desire of mine sits in the back of my heart as my Spanish improves week by week.

He is good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...