CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 15, 2011

I'm Angry

Hello there people. So, I'm angry.  I don't really care what they say.  At least, that's how I feel.  You ever felt like this?  Lecrae's song "Anger Management" describes this so well to me.  Working in urban ministry, one can run into many young people (and adults) who carry anger, hurt, bitterness, resentment, and a host of other things on themselves like a chip on their shoulder.  Situations in this life can take place that cause us to feel these ways...well, that all depends on how we handle the situations...how we deal with them...or rather, how we choose to deal.  People can do and say things to us that have negative effects and results on our hearts, minds, and bodies for years, and even lifetimes, that damage us.  Being raped; lied to; lied on; cheated on; hurt; talked about; robbed; beat up; mistreated; etc.  Sometimes we hurt ourselves.  Sometimes we cause the hurt.  Maybe yours is similar to another problem of mine - you keep doing and saying things you don't want to do or say and that just makes you more angry.  I'm reminded of Paul saying:

For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.
                     -Romans 7:15-20 (ESV)

But he also said in verses 24-25: "Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!"  Yes. Thank God for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who can and will help us through all of our struggles - including anger and resentment.  Giving it all to Him and telling Him how we feel is extremely helpful.  He's the ultimate Counselor. Sometimes it is helpful and downright necessary to talk to someone - a trusted friend, counselor/therapist, etc. - to help us during these times.  It's very helpful to talk to one who is a Christian and has been walking with the Lord for a while; one who has wisdom. 

It's inenvitable - we will get angry, but we don't have to sin when we get angry. "Be angry, and do not sin;
ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Selah" (Psalm 4:4).  As long as we live on this earth in this flesh with other people made of clay...we will get angry. Let's choose to have the Lord help us to do da right thang.  We can't help what other people do or say to us but we can pray for them and (as much as depends on us) avoid situations and people that we know will make us angry.  Let's make sure that the Lord's name is made great in the way we handle our anger, people.

Til next time,
U.M.

Oh, here's that video.  Enjoy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...