CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 23, 2013

What I learned while fasting

micernest.com

Ya know...when Jesus was fasting in the wilderness, He was tempted by the devil (Luke 4)...when I was fasting on a workday, I was tempted by the devil.  My thought, "REALLY? This happens while I'm FASTING?!?" But if Jesus wasn't exempt, how could I expect to be?
I decided to fast that day because I was feeling spiritually weak. I hadn't been spending time with the Lord like I needed to and had been somewhat isolated from other believers. I was with believers often, but I didn't have community. So, that day at work, I decided I was going to fast for the rest of the day. I'd read the Word and pray instead of eating. I knew it was necessary. To build my inner man and to renew my mind through the Word. I also needed to remind myself of the greatness of God.

While I was fasting, I got a text from the woman I live with. I've been renting a room in her house over the last 4 months in an effort to save money. We'd had several minor issues that had happened over the last months. She seemed to be accustomed to living alone, so lots of things that I did seemed to bother her. At every instance of her alerting me about a problem, I'd apologize and "repent" haha. I literally would change in an effort to keep the peace. After all, I was living in her house. And I wanted to represent Christ well since she is not a believer.

Well, today, had done it. Another minor thing: I'd left the window open in the bathroom. She was just fed up with me. She thought I was irresponsible and inconsiderate and wanted me to be out within 6 weeks. Mind you, I got this text (yes, it was a text) while I was fasting. While my inner man was being strengthened, my flesh was weakened. As much as I wanted to be angry, all I could do was laugh. As much as I wanted to say something mean, all I could say (or text rather) was an apology and a notice that I would move. As much as I wanted to do something "ignant," all I could do was extend grace.

Fasting...what a spiritual discipline! I learned that fasting really is necessary to keep my flesh under subjection and to prepare me for the trials ahead.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...